Thursday, August 24, 2006

yay for finnish design



i was able to acquire a half a dozen of tsaikka glasses in their original box from a local auction house for $5. score.



timo sarpaneva designed the tsaikka glass for iittala in 1957 and it has always been one of my iittala favourites. in fact, some of my earliest christmas/winter memories include eggnog/glög served from these glasses at my grandparents' house.

mebbe during the next xmas holidays i can hook up some glög from ikea and serve it hot from my own tsaikka glasses. its really quite funny how these lil patriotic things pop up once you're far enough for long enough. honestly didn't think i had it in me before i left the country...


1 comment:

skribe said...

I don't have a broad Australian accent. Except when overseas. Then it's 'G'ay. I'm Strain, mate." It's weird how it can get you.