Friday, May 19, 2006

strangeland



you know those books that you just can't put down? yeh. this was one.

started reading it yesterday. needed something to keep me entertained while waiting for my video exporting attempts to reveal their results. just finished it. well, both: the video and the book.

it is borderline scary how easy it is for me to relate to emin's writing. i mean, don't get me wrong, i am fortunate enough not to have gone through anything even remotely as traumatic as she has. yet still, i can't help but relate to how she thinks and feels.

must be a chick-with-balls thing.
"masculinity, manhood. what makes a man a man? as a woman at the dawn of mid-life, i can confess to having learned, for sure, that i have more testosterone in my right foot than most men have surging in their entire bodies.
you don't have to be born with balls to have balls. there is spunk and there is mental spunk, and it's the latter that gets me up in the mornings, that makes me change my life, that moves the world around.
...
a man should never think with his dick, and as he gets older, he should have learned to control the direction in which his spunk flies. mental as well as physical. there is nothing more unattractive than a man who is sexually weak."

- tracey emin - strangeland

No comments: