Saturday, May 13, 2006

performances, white wine and a sore arse

hmmm... bunnies, i think i have discovered yet another rule when it comes to contemporary art.

you might already be aware of my 3 minute rule when it comes to video art? see, i hate video art. naturally i also identify myself as a video artist. but the way i see it, there has to be a pretty fucken good reason for a video work exceed 3 minutes. long video works shit me to no end.

of course this only includes videos that are screened on a reel that you have to sit through from beginning to the end. looping video installations and duration pieces are a whole different breed and do not fall under this thumb rule.

--

the new rule? well, last night i went to see audio performances. again, the length was a killer. especially since i was sitting on my arse on friggen concrete floor. owwie.

the first act i found interesting, the second mesmerizing. it was almost as if the sounds he was making were taking form only in my head. it felt like instead of coming out of his instrument, the sound culminated in the centre of my head and reached my ears from inside. freaky i tell you. the last one? meh. started out funny and had good bits, but overall too long. way too long.

but yeh: keep it short unless you can create a trancelike state for the spectator. my arse started hurting after 15-20 mins.

2 comments:

Soon said...

I'd say there's something rather hypnotising about a certain clip playing at the Sam Taylor-Wood exhibition right now at the MCA.

tp said...

oh, still haven't seen the exhibition. planning to tho. ...as soon as i get my myself away from this bloody uni work.